Do you know who Bobby Fisher is? I don’t blame you if his name doesn’t ring a bell. After winning the World Chess Championship in 1972 (the only US-born player to do so) and refusing to defend it in 1975, he decided to hide from the public.
To the surprise of many, he returned to the board which made him famous in 1992. He played against Boris Spassky in a match billed as “The World Chess Championship.” Of course, the match was not sanctioned by FIDE, the world chess governing body. Fisher went on to win the series, 10 wins to 5 with 15 draws.
Many were clueless as to what happened to him during his 20 years of hiding. I’m quite surprised as to why journalists and fans weren’t able to successfully locate him. While I’m aware that the people search options back then were not as many as what we have right now, still it would have been easy or highly possible for him to tracked down considering his stature.
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment