Friday, November 17, 2006

God Bless Iraq

Iraq never fails to make it to the evening news or at every newspaper’s headline. Although I wouldn’t dare think that God has forsaken that part of the world, people are usually tempted to make such a conclusion every time they hear that another spate of bombing or kidnapping has again plagued that country.

As Thanksgiving Day draws near, I can’t help but wonder if Iraqi families would be able to have such a happy and solemn gathering between friends and relatives anytime soon. Hundreds or thousands of people in Iraq are still missing. Some say that they were abducted by American soldiers. Others blame sectarian violence for the kidnappings.

I grieve for the families who would never be complete again because of the disappearance of a member. It’s not as if that they could easily conduct a people search on their missing loved ones. Habeas Corpus petitions are also virtually useless as the Iraqi government has not been successful in maintaining peace and order between the warring factions.

I hope that all this misery would soon end.

No comments: