Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bend it Like Beckham

Despite the fact that soccer has already been around for more than a century, it’s still a budding sport here in the United States. It’s the most popular sport in the world, but ironically, it’s one of the least known or played in America.

Fortunately, the last two FIFA World Cups and our own Major League Soccer are slowly capturing the hearts of many Americans. The word “football” is gradually being returned or referred to the sport to which it originally described. Many parks have already installed goal posts in their fields.

I bet you only know two or three football stars, and one of them is certainly David Beckham. If you’re a football fan and living in LA, you won’t have to travel all the way to Spain just to see the soccer legend bend the ball. I guess everybody knows by now that he’ll be playing in the MLS starting next season.

I hope that the league’s most expensive acquisition would provide a spark in the flickering future of soccer in the United States. I guess it already has. Reports say that LA Galaxy season tickets have already been sold out. David Beckham’s name has been the most searched or typed in any search engine on the Internet after the announcement of the deal was made. Soccer is indeed alive and kicking here in America!

No comments: