Saturday, October 07, 2006

People Search – Doing it the Old Fashion Way

There was a time when a people search was considered as dreadful and frustrating. I already had the unfortunate need to look for somebody whom I haven’t talked to for several years already. I didn’t have his phone number, so I resorted to the only available 'search engine' at that time – the Yellow Pages.

The telephone directory was the only accessible people search solution before Yahoo and Google came along. It was a God-send for many, especially for those who already have a lead on the person they are looking for, such as his address. However, if you’re in a state or city where the name Mary Johnson takes up four pages of the directory, then chances are, you’ll be saying sorry a few hundred times before you’re able to talk to the right person.

I’m not saying that searching for somebody through a telephone directory is almost futile. As long as you have an idea as to where that person lives, you can expect your endeavor to be less frustrating.

But then again, you can use your fingers another way... why not conduct an online people search? It requires the same info you need to go through Yellow Pages and the results come up much faster :)

No comments: